Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Showers and Postal Service

So, I realize that I am moving to a small town, but here is what I found out today proving exactly how small Earth really is:

I will be having a bridal shower in Earth this month and the gracious women from the church are organizing it. In San Antonio, you would make a list of people you would like to invite and send them an invitation. You might even post a general invite in the church bulletin that you attend.

In Earth, however, no invitations are necessary. No, they just blow up a flyer and post it in the grocery store, the co-op, and the post office (would be more locations if there were actually that many places to go in Earth); and place the information inside every church bulletin in Earth and Springlake combined (except for probably the Church of Christ who might frown upon such a thing.)

And apparently, the postal service is just as casual as the shower invitation. We currently do not have a mailbox at our home (since Jack thought it was essential for him to take it to Tennessee with him.) So, when Trent was not home for the post woman to deliver mail, she just walked right on in the house and left him a note on our kitchen counter. No one locks their doors in Earth - until I move there!

So there it is - living in Earth will be like living in a whole different world - but one where everyone knows you, supports you, and makes themselves at home.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey Karessa!
I am eagerly awaiting these stories! Your writing is fun & I am excited to hear more about you and Trent!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I suspect this blog will be highly entertaining as you get knee-deep in small town antics. I picture earth to be the Texas equivalent of Stars Hollow (from Gilmore Girls). Can't wait to read more!

Jill said...

thanks to tamra, i found your blog! tell kammi (or cammie, or kami...i can't remember how it's spelled) to email or call me! i want to catch up with her and her babies!!